This is the first in a series of informational videos, we’re dropping, that provide more detail on as well as give a live glimpse into our SHAOLIN JAZZ engagements. Shot and edited by Ralston Smith, SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE is one of our first signature engagements that brings to life our mixtape via a live performance of music from the SHAOLIN JAZZ catalog. The performance is led by SHAOLIN JAZZ co-founder DJ 2-Tone Jones who is backed by his fellow band members of the critically acclaimed Sound of the City band.
This photo (random dude happened to be looking at the marquee as Chris was shooting) says a lot in terms of how far SHAOLIN JAZZ has come as well as the many things we have yet to accomplish. Thanks to all of those that attended and thanks to Steve Zahn (BB King Blues – NYC) for reaching out to 2-Tone and I about doing a show, thanks to Sound of the City (Biscuit, Dre King, and Chooky) for another strong performance (they had actually performed at BB King’s a week before backing another group), Alexis (Madison Davenport), Chris Carr (Eat the Cake NYC) for another series of stellar photos, and Soul 1 for the hospitality. And, oh yeah, Large Professor came through and was impressed…
Our programming at University of Wyoming was the most expansive we’ve done to date, becoming one of our most memorable trips. Our two day stint at the school consisted of a panel discussion and SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE (featuring DJ 2-Tone Jones and Sound of the City) – day one, and a classroom lecture and COLOR of SOUND (which included student artwork) – day two.
Despite a lot of moving parts (production, personnel, etc) each event ran pretty smoothly, received good attendance followed up by fully engaged attendees; making for a great experience.
Stay tuned for more trips and for more pics of our trip click Read the rest of this entry
With this being the first ever live performance of SHAOLIN JAZZ I don’t think things could’ve worked out any better. Good weather, a legendary venue (Blues Alley), a very respectable turnout for both shows, amazing music from 2-Tone with Sound of the City, and our guest performers. And I must add, doing a live show was NEVER in our plan.
- RELEASE DATE TBA: The release of a two track single featuring live tracks from the album – SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE.
- Saturday June 9th: A panel discussion hosted by Capitalbop during DC Jazzfest. For additional info click here.
- Monday June 25th: SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE – the 1st ever live performance of tracks from the SHAOLIN JAZZ – The 37th Chamber album. which will place at the legendary Blues Alley. The performance will be led by DJ 2-Tone Jones, the co-creator of SHAOLIN JAZZ, backed by his fellow band members of Sound of the City along with special guest artists. For tickets click here.
Overall, SHAOLIN JAZZ, including the development of this particular extension, has been very organic – from the start with us having no real plan, to releasing a series of creative projects which we felt just made sense, on into this latest foray.
Originally, SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE was simply going to be a two song single featuring live versions of some of the tracks from the album and during its production 2-Tone and Biscuit Bynum (one of the co-founders of Sound of the City – the band that performed the live tracks, of which 2-Tone is also a member) discussed the potential of doing a live show, as the tracks came out solid and Biscuit had a strong relationship with Blues Alley, an esteemed jazz venue in Washington, DC. After a few months of emails, impromptu meetings, and phone calls Blues Alley hit us with a date making this our 1st ever live performance at one of the nation’s most legendary jazz spots.
SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE (a live music release and live show):
- Download two of the SHAOLIN JAZZ L!VE tracks by clicking here.
- Live show: live performances of tracks from the SHAOLIN JAZZ album, Monday June 25th, at Blues Alley (1073 Wisconsin Ave. NW – in the alley), 8pm and 10pm shows. Buy tickets here.
Hope you download the project and can make it to the show.